This website uses cookies. To see what the new EU legislation means for you click here.

Housing

Coundon St James VicarageThe Houses Department is located within the Diocesan Office, Auckland Castle, Bishop Auckland.


The Department works to the Repair of Benefice Buildings Measure 1972, Miscellaneous Provisions Measure 2005, Parsonages Measure 1938, and Endowments and Glebe Measure 1976, and report to the Houses Committee which is a sub-committee of the Diocesan Board of Finance. The Committee meets approximately six times per year.

The Department is responsible for all matters relating to housing management including the inspection and tendering, repair and maintenance, acquitions and disposal of the diocesan housing stock. We are responsible for the letting of vacant houses and identifying and acquiring, by purchase or rental, houses for curates.

Inspection of Houses
The Houses Department is responsible for the inspection of approximately 250 diocesan houses. This is done primarily through the quinquennial inspection scheme and at vacancy.

Working within strict budgetary constraints, every effort is made to ensure our properties are kept in a good state of repair. Ongoing maintenance includes an annual gas safety inspection and quinquennial electrical inspection. The refurbishment and improvement of houses is, whenever possible, undertaken during quinquennial.

The Property Manager is available during office hours to deal with requests for repairs or to give advice on housing matters in general, but please be aware that they are often out and about around the diocese carrying out surveys or monitoring ongoing works.